Not all treats are sweet for your pets!

Your valentine might be getting you a sweet treat this year, but that treat could be deadly for your pet.  On any holiday it is important to pet-proof your house, and Valentine’s Day is no exception. The influx of candy and flowers could pose a threat to your cuddly friend. Here are some toxic items for pets that you may find gifted to you this year.

  • Keep the chocolate to yourself: If ingested, chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, irritation and seizures in dogs, depending on the amount ingested!
  • Flowers can be poisonous: Cat owners, be sure to check your flower arrangements for lilies. These flowers can be fatal to cats. (Although they are not deadly for dogs.) Even exposure to lily pollen or water from the vase can cause serious health risks!
  • Gift wrapping can be just as hazardous: Ribbons and bows can pose issues to your pets’ digestions tracks. After you open your gifts, be sure to dispose of all trash.
  • Check the labels: Treats like coffee beans, macadamia nuts, and xylitol in sugar-free candies can also be a health hazard for your pets. If ingested, these items can cause liver and kidney failure.

To be safe, be sure to keep these items out of the reach of your pets. There are plenty of ways to show your love for your pet this V-day, take them for a long walk or surprise them with their favorite treat and they will be forever grateful.

Roses are red, violets are blue, Happy Valentine’s Day from Help Pet Shelters to you!

Inspiration for this blog came from